"You want to ride out to Enochs with us in the morning to put flowers out?" my mom asked me one morning during our stay there in December. Something I knew she and my Aunt did several times a year but I personally had never been around when they did it. So, Why not??? I love getting out that way, so many memories we're made in Enochs.
The next morning my YB, Mom, Aunt and I were on our way to put flowers out on the graves of our loved ones in West Texas. A ritual started by my Mema years ago, with her parents, a son Marlin and years later my Granddad's grave.
With the change of the seasons goes the change of the flowers and a chance for us to stop and remember those who've passed before us......
The Enochs Cemetary, the place where our family has been laid to rest. Also, the place I learned to drive my Mema's Lincoln and my Granddads pickup trucks around the age of 9 or 10 years old. Round and round the small cemetary we'd go, pretending to drive in a make believe city in the middle of now where....
And right next to the cemetary was the Enochs Grain Elevators ran by my Granddad for many years, in fact he retired from here well into his's 70's. We'd make our way here several times a day to visit with our Granddad who sat in his chair behind the big ole' counter talking to the truckers and towns people who'd come by to check in on good ole' Shorty. We'd clean up his office to earn money for the coke machine or piddle around the elevators while waiting for the next truck to stop in.
Then we'd take off around Enochs exploring all the run down buildings that once sat in the middle of a thriving community. Mom swears Enochs was a hopping little town back then, but we didn't care one way or the other....it had everything we needed to keep us busy during our visits. Mema made sure of it.
Not only did we drive, we cooked, sewed, farmed, branded, played, worshiped, sang, shot, joked, laughed, ate, cried, slept, celebrated, swam and enjoyed our own personal playground way out in the middle of good ole West Texas.

After we finished putting flowers out, we ended our tour out at my Granddads pasture. A trip made many of times to feed and check in on the cattle. I can hear Granddad calling the cattle as I type...."SUUUEEEEE". And out of nowhere they'd come running to the pickup to be fed and admired .
A great trip down memory lane, I'm glad I joined in on this ritual.
MOM, wait till I'm home to change the flowers, I'll go with you....


No comments:
Post a Comment